surval montreux is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
your use of this website signifies your consent to us collecting and using personal data about you as specified below in accordance with this policy statement. should we choose to change these terms for any reason, the changes will be posted here so that you are always kept informed about the collection and use of your personal information, and when we disclose it.
the eu general data protection regulation (gdpr) includes rules on giving privacy information to those whose data is held (data subjects) by an organisation (the data controller). these rules are more detailed and specific than in the eu data protection direct 1995 (dpd) and place an emphasis on making privacy notices understandable and accessible. data controllers are expected to take ‘appropriate measures’ to ensure that this is the case.
surval montreux (company number: chh-550.1.094.995-3), as the data controller, interprets this as using very clear language to outline each of the responsibilities for each of the data subject groups.
the purpose of this policy is to inform on how surval montreux collects and uses personal data on students. this notice will also inform which third parties the school may share your personal data with.
the school’s data protection officer can be contacted for more information by telephoning +44 (0) 21 966 16 16 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
what information is being collected about students and their parents/guardians
when you submit your details on this website we may collect the following information:
- name and contact information such as address, email and telephone number of the student, parent, guardian, agent or fee payer
- student data and country of birth, ethnicity and country of domicile, passport number or national identity card details and visa status
- information relating to student education history such as previous schools and education institutions, courses completed, dates of study, attendance records and examination results
- information which may assist with provision for the appropriate medical and pastoral care of the pupil such as any disability, medical, or dietary issues
- a photograph of the student will be kept. this will be for identification purposes only and we will seek consent for any other usage
how and why information is collected
when you first contact the school by telephoning us, sending an email or looking at our websites, you may be invited to complete an enquiry or application form. this information will be recorded and may be followed up by our admissions office in order to provide you with further information or to further your admission process.
through the course of the admission process personal data is recorded by the school to enable us to care for the student and to fulfil our contractual obligations in the delivery of studies. it may also be collected to fulfil legal obligations and /or the regulatory duties that it owes to its regulators and to other third parties.
the primary method the school uses to collect personal data throughout this time will be from the information contained on the enquiry and application form and associated documents completed when joining the school along with:
- information provided whilst the student is attending the school relating to their studies
- information received from previous places of education
- information generated during the course of studies and time at the school (e.g. attendance, academic achievement, behaviour or safeguarding information)
- information provided by the swiss authorities or other third party in relation to obtaining a swiss residency permit
the information gathered is used for:
- internal record keeping
- we regularly email website news and information updates to those who have specifically subscribed to our email service. all subscription emails sent by us contain clear information on how to unsubscribe from our email service should you wish to do so
- we will use the contact information submitted to send out requested promotional material from the school
- from time to time, we may also use your information to contact you. we may contact you by email, phone or mail
we are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. in order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
a cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. the web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
we use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. this helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. we only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. a cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
you can choose to accept or decline cookies. most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. this may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
links to other websites
our website may contain links to other websites of interest. however, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. you should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
how we use your personal information
the primary use of the personal data we collect is to support the learning and development of students during their time at surval montreux, whilst ensuring the wellbeing and safeguarding of the students.
we will process personal data because it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you, or prior to admitting students, in order to take steps towards entering into a contract with you. we will use your data in order to:
- communicate with you before enrolment of a student, as part of the admissions process
- provide suitable provision and services for the student following admission
- deal with any feedback or concerns you may have
- monitor and evaluate the performance and effectiveness or our school
- carry out research and statistical analysis
- maintain and improve the academic, corporate, financial, estate and human resource management of the school
- promote equality and diversity
- seek advice on our rights and obligations, for instance where we require our own legal advice
- recover monies owed to us
to comply with our legal obligations we may use your personal data in order to:
- meet our compliance and regulatory obligations, such as compliance with anti-money laundering laws and safeguarding requirements
- for the prevention and detection of crime
- to assist with investigations, including criminal investigations carried out by the police and other competent authorities
we may also process your personal data where:
- it is necessary for medical purposes (e.g. medical diagnosis, provision of health or social care or treatment, or a contract with a health professional
- it is necessary to protect the vital interests of the student or another person
- we have a legitimate business interest to do so
- we have the specific or where required explicit consent of the data subject to do so
you may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, you will be able to manage how you would like to be contacted by the school and whether you would like to receive news and updates from the school by filling in/ticking the applicable box
- if you have previously agreed to receiving news and updates and allowing us to contact you in relation to your enquiry to the school, you many change your mind at any time by writing or emailing us to email@example.com
- you may at any time decide to exercise your right to be forgotten. this is where you can have all your data permanently removed from our website and database. to do this, please contact the school.
we will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties.
accessing your data
you may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the eu data protection direct 1995 (dpd) and from the date it comes into force, the general data protection regulation (gdpr). if you would like a copy of the information held on you please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
if you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible on email@example.com. we will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
last updated 16 may 2018